Roadtrip

Saturday, July 30, 2005

10, 9, ...Blastoff!

Well we got to take off about 2 hours ahead of schedule. Bit of a short fuse.
Dave G. woke up at 3am, took some relatives to DFW, then swung by my place. After a groggy phone call where he stated he was in my parking lot 2 hours early, I scrambled to get ready.

Packed his car with a combination of camping gear and golf equipment. We won't be at a loss for things to do on this trip.

On the road at 7 am. Stopped briefly at Mickey D's and off we went. In my planning of the route, I failed to realize I was sending us through downtown Ft. Worth during rush hour. But Ft. Worth seems to have gotten it right and their rush hour was a breeze, never having to tap the brakes during our transit.

First stop was in Sweetwater for gas. Our wallets $35 lighter, we head almost due west to our next stop Carlsbad, New Mexico. We arrive in Carlsbad in mid afternoon and grab a bite at Lucy's and had a really good chicken burrito.


Typical New Mexico sky



I inquired about the La Caverna Hotel. That's the hotel that my parents stayed at on their honeymoon trip in 1940 I believe. I was disappointed to learn that it has come up short in it's battle with the wrecking ball. At the waitress's suggestion we checked into Steven's Best Western. Our waitress is more knowledgeable about Mexican food than hotel rooms! This hotel is a little dogged eared, but we were pretty exhausted so it didn't matter too much at the time.



The Photo I'm holding is of a little ceramic sombrero that my parents bought on their trip in 1940. On it is painted "La Caverna Hotel-Carlsbad, NM"

We set up a little bar in the room, had a drink, then we took a little combat nap. Then we woke from our slumber, had a cocktail in room, and we were off to see the bats leave the cave at Carlsbad at night. The black smudge at the horizon are the bats leaving the cave.




After the bats, we checked out the lounge at the hotel that was also highly recommended. Well folks, Carlsbad is not Las Vegas. After a quick beer, and a few C&W songs, these cowpokes were ready for some shut eye.

In my haste to do last minute packing, I forgot to bring the cable that connects my camera to the laptop to upload photos. So for now any photos you see will be Dave's. If I get motivated, I'll try to buy a card reader to upload my photos.

Saturday morning 7/30/05:

On our way to Socorro where the "Very Large Array" is located. Those are the radio telescopes that you've probably seen in th movies.

Might stop at the "Owl Bar" in San Antonio, NM, right outside Socorro. Legend has it that the scientists working on the Atomic bomb used to come here and eat. On the eve of the first test of the atomic bomb the scientists told the proprietors of the bar to "look outside at 5am". Must have been some sight to be one of the few to see the world change forever.

Then on to ABQ, maybe to see "The Turtles" play there. Then possibly on to Santa Fe...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home